Monday, January 9, 2012

Learning To Trust Again

I love when God makes a lesson clear to you through multiple ways. Last time I blogged, I wrote about how I've struggled with trusting God and surrendering complete control to Him. Tonight, the theme of trust jumped out of everything I read or listened to. You can hear God when you take the time to listen...

Right now, I'm reading a book called One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. It's the author's journey in finding the joys among life's stresses and busyness through recording 1,000 gifts she's blessed with, and the lessons she learns along the way. Tonight's chapter? Trusting God.

One of the things that struck me from this chapter was when the author pointed out us trying to take control of things in our lives and not trusting God's ability is basically disbelief in God. She even went as far as to say it's basically atheism. If we truly believe in God, we must believe in the truths about God...including His power, ability, and goodness. When we try to take control of things in our lives and struggle to trust God, we're basically telling Him we don't think He can handle, fix, help, or do something in a situation. And if we don't think He can do something, we're not really believing.

In order to develop trust (true, deep, unfailing trust), we must look back at all the ways God has blessed us and helped us in the past. This will help us learn and realize God's power because we're able to look at things He's already done...and know He can do more.

It made me think about when I'm driving. There's a stretch on my way to work where there's a large bend in the road before a stoplight. Every morning, I always look ahead to the light to see if I should be stopping for a red light or if I can keep going through for a green light. Probably the safe thing to do, but there's plenty of time to prepare for a stop after the bend if needed. There's really no reason I need to look ahead so early. But I do it every morning. That's how I work. I like to see what's ahead. I like to know what I need to prepare for.

Instead, trusting God, as I'm slowly learning, is more like driving at night. Rather than being able to see far ahead down the road, you're limited to only seeing a few feet in front of you. You have to trust that the road is always going to be there in front of you, and that the car you're driving is going to get you to where you need to go, despite you not being able to fully see.

I'm reading through Genesis right now with my church's Bible-in-a-year plan. Pastor Chris explained how the story of creation is more of a story to teach us about the Creator. It shows us His power. His creativity. His sovereignty. If God can create a world like this - a universe like this - why can't He do anything else?? Why do I doubt His ability lead me in my tiny life? Genesis is bleeding with God's own creation sinning over and over again, right from the beginning...only for God to respond with blessing and redemption over and over again. Why do I doubt that He is good and will bless and redeem me? He had an entire plan of redemption for the Israelites that spanned generations. Each person and event had a specific purpose. Why wouldn't God have a specific purpose for each person and event in my life?

I still have a long way to go. There are no major decisions looming in my immediate future (in the next 4 months or so anyway), so it's easier to say these things now with confidence. The true test will be when I am faced with decisions or hard moments in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment