Tuesday, August 25, 2009

T-1 day until Milwaukee...

As you all know, I spent the summer in Madison. It was great to get away from everything, relax, and try to figure out the next step of my life. I was met with some issues in my life and heart that I didn't really realize were there until I slowed down...I'll post on those later. At times, it was a hard summer...I guess that just goes along with the hard year I had...but it was also a refreshing summer. As I get closer to heading back to Milwaukee, I often think back on when I first moved back to Milwaukee to start at Heritage a year ago. It feels like ages ago, and at the same time, the past year went by so fast. I remember how miserable I was. Leaving Madison was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do...and I've moved a lot in my life. I felt like I had finally found solid community and I was suddenly ripped from it. I found myself having to rebuild community...again. I've never felt so lonely and depressed in my life. But, God knows how to provide for His children. Despite going through a very difficult first year of teaching, I was blessed with amazing coworkers. Now, a year later, I'm in a completely different place. For the first time in a very long time, I'm at peace about being in Milwaukee. It's been hard at times to come to terms with being let go at Heritage, but I feel like it's a blessing in disguise. The school is still going through a lot of bumps in the road and apparently God felt like it wasn't the best situation for me. It was frustrating to go through the summer and come up empty handed in the job department. But, I've decided to go back to subbing and get my foot in the door of a couple districts in the Milwaukee area...and I'm ok with it. Some days will be hard...some days my heart will ache for my own classroom and some consistency...but I did all I could to find a full-time teaching job and I'm confident that God has something else planned for me. I also feel at peace about some of the friendships I've made in Milwaukee. I've met some awesome, solid women that have just been good for my heart. They make me feel loved and cared for...just what I need. And I get to live with one of them this year, which will be awesome. :) So, it's been cool to think about how things worked out this past year, despite it being so hard. And now, one day before heading back, I find myself actually excited about what lies ahead. I've learned that home isn't just a city...it's wherever you make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment