Monday, October 3, 2011

Extrovert to the core

This past weekend, I had an amazing weekend. Possibly one of the best of my life!

Rewind.

Friday night: After a crazy Friday afternoon at school (we took the whole school to the Oregon homecoming parade!), I rushed to get the bare minimum ready for Monday and took off to Milwaukee. I picked Cassie up and we went to Turner Hall downtown to see Mat Kearney. When I bought the tickets, it said online that the concert was at 7:00. However, when we got there (right around 7), there was a big line out the door, waiting to get in. We quickly found out that the doors weren't opening until 7:30 and the opening act wasn't starting until 8:30. It ended up being perfect because I for sure thought we were going to be getting there right as the concert was starting. The tickets were general admission, so when we got inside, they had chairs and small tables set up throughout the hall. Cassie and I sat down in a couple of chairs, but quickly saw a small group of people standing up at the very front at the stage. It didn't take us long to decide that was where we wanted to watch the concert! To make a long, amazing concert short, we saw Mat Kearney from the very front and eventually got to shake his hand. Incredible.

Saturday night: On Saturday, my friends from Elmbrook Church in MKE, Reed and Sarah, got married. I wasn't sure who was going to be at the wedding because they know so many people from church and are the type of people that are friends with everyone. I wasn't sure where they made the cut-off. It ended up being kind of a random group of people, but it ended up being really fun. There were enough of my "closer" friends there that it was fun and wasn't the usual reminder of the fact that I'm single at yet another wedding. My friend Sevea and I ended up dancing the night away...and one of my favorite things is a good wedding dance! :)

Sunday: Miranda put her name in a lottery for Brewers playoff tickets a while back and was chosen to buy some! So, she and I went to the game on Sunday! On top of that, Anna was sitting 4 rows behind us with her fiancé and parents! Miller Park is one of my "happy places" just during a regular season game...imagine it during a playoff game!! It was one of the most incredible things I've ever been to! The energy in the park was absolutely insane! And on top of that, we won the game...so that was just a little bit cool. ;)

This weekend really reminded how much of an extrovert I am. Most people that I know would be burnt out by such a busy weekend. Instead, I was so energized by it! After being in a place where my social life, or people time if you will, has been significantly cut down, it felt so good to be around people I enjoy and who know me well. When I'm around those people in my life, I am so much more outgoing! I feel like the new people I have met here in Madison don't really know the "real" me. Not that I'm being fake with them. But when I'm around people I enjoy and know well, I come out of my shell so much more. I look forward to the day where I can feel like that around the people I've met here. It always takes me a bit when I meet someone to feel comfortable around them and like I can really be my "true" self. The girl who is crazy about sports and loves to yell and cheer on my favorite team. The girl who can quote Friends like it's my job and relate multiple situations a day to the show. The girl who loves being invested in, feeling needed and loved, and longs for deep meaningful relationships. The girl who loves having something to do with people.

I have noticed that each move has made this "warm up" time with new people shorter. When I first moved to Wisconsin in 6th grade, 4 previous moves had made me the shyest girl around. My best friend from high school would be the first person to tell you how long it took me to open up. Now, I wouldn't characterize myself as shy per say. For whatever reason, it just takes me a little bit to show people all sides of me. But, each time I have to do it, it takes a little bit less time.

No comments:

Post a Comment