Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I love my career.

I went to Heritage's Christmas vocal concert last Friday to see my former students perform and to say hi to some of my former coworkers. Of course it was fun to see the students, but talking to some of the parents was the highlight of the night. The parents I saw that night gave me the biggest hugs I've had in a while.

One dad was looking all over for me when he heard I was going to be there, and when I did find him, he kept talking about how mad he was that I'm not at the school anymore and how big of an impact I had on his daughter. He also told me that his family still prays for me.

Another mom told me that she prays all the time for me to find my way back to Heritage (although in the same breath, telling me that I'm probably better off where I'm at now).

A grandma (who I actually saw at church on Sunday, not at the concert) kept telling me how much her family misses me and how excited she was to see me.

Many times when I look back on last year, the stressful and negative moments take over my memories. It was the hardest, most stressful, frustrating, and draining year of my life. Yet, despite how many times I was frustrated with my class last year, their faces still light up when I visit. And their parents tell me all those wonderful things. It's hard for me to see that I made an impact on my students' lives, but it was really encouraging to hear that I had made a difference. It was encouraging to hear how much the students enjoyed their 3rd grade year.

I'm excited to see where God takes me after this year in my career. I will always let those encouraging words and memories bring me through the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment