Thursday, October 8, 2009

Kindergartenism #5:
"If you see a house with a pumpkin outside, it's mine."

Kindergartenism #6:
Logan (while walking through the woods on our field trip): "I want to leave. I'm scared. Are there any gorillas?"
Me: "No Logan, gorillas don't live in Wisconsin."
Logan: "Are there lions and tigers?"
Me: "No."
Logan: "Are there monkeys?"
Me: "No Logan."
Logan: "Is there quicksand?"
Me: "No Logan, you don't need to be scared. If we see an animal, I will protect you."


Kindergarten is going really well. I love working with these kids. They are so precious. I love teaching many grade levels, but there's something about kindergarten that is so fun and exciting.

We have a couple of kiddos that have pretty tough home lives. One of the teachers had to contact social services because a student showed up to school with a burn mark apparently from his brother holding his finger to a lighter while the mom slept through everything. One of our new kids was absent from school for 2 days because her mom apparently ran off with her. I can't believe some kids live like this. We wonder why kids these days have so many problems. It makes me happy that there are good schools for kids to go to and feel safe and loved in. The student that we called social services about hugged me today and told me he loved me (he is a very angry child, so that's a pretty rare moment). I wonder how many times he's heard that at home. After meeting his mom today, I can't imagine many. I just can't imagine having a child and not raising him/her in the best possible environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment