Sunday, March 28, 2010

RIP Miriam

This afternoon, I went to my friend Peter's cello recital downtown. It started at 3:00 and after driving around to find a parking spot, it was 3:05. So, as soon as I found a spot, I bolted out of my car and started running 2 blocks to the building where the recital was being held. As soon as I got there, it dawned on me that I had left my GPS (named Miriam) turned on and attached to my windshield. I couldn't go back because I already had walked in to the recital late...in between movements of one of his pieces...in front of the whole audience.

After the recital, I decided not to go out to dinner with everyone because I had come down with a sore throat earlier this afternoon and just felt like going home and relaxing. I walked to my car...only to find my front passenger window shattered and Miriam gone. They also apparently went through my center console, but didn't take anything else.

It's sad that Miriam is gone. It's annoying that I have to get yet another window in my car completely replaced. But, I'm trying to keep my mind in perspective.

My car wasn't stolen.
My mom is an insurance agent and knows people at an auto glass company who can get me a new window for only $100.
My stepdad can fix the window himself.
I wasn't hurt.

Miriam is just a thing. She was a nice convenience, but in the grand scheme of things, she's not something that was essential to life.

I just need to remind myself of those things...especially when I look at Bullet's sad window wrapped in plastic wrap...again.

No comments:

Post a Comment